When I’m asked to recommend a nice restaurant which won’t break the bank, chances are Medlar is the answer.
If you’ve got plenty of cash to splash or if you have specific requirements as to location or cuisine, there are other places I would recommend but, if you’re just looking for a good value, delicious meal, then Medlar is where you should be headed.
I’ve been a couple of times now and my experience has been almost identical each time, in a good way. This is what you can expect:
1) Excellent service. Really excellent. I would go as far as to say that it is some of the best service I have ever had. Every time I go.
2) Value for money. There are not many Michelin Star restaurants where you can enjoy a 3 course lunch for £30 and a 3 course dinner for £45. And this is no set menu nonsense, the table next to you won’t be going a la carte whist you pick from 2 or 3 options, this is the menu and everyone chooses from the same one.
3) It’s surprisingly easy to get a table. This should not be underrated, how many times have you decided to go for an impromptu meal only to find you can’t get in anywhere? Perhaps I’ve just been lucky but I put it down to the location. If it was central you’d never get in, but tucked away at the end of the Kings Road it takes that little bit more effort and as a result you can often get a table which a couple of days (or even hours) notice.
4) Great food. It’s seasonal, well thought out and tasty. It’s not the best I’ve ever had but as long as you’re not expecting the meal of a lifetime you wont be disappointed. There’s plenty of choice and I can highly recommend the under blade fillet with chips and béarnaise – a regular on the menu for very good reason. They also have a cheese board to die for and the staff are happy to give you as many slices as they can fit on the board. How often does that happen?!
5) Last but not least, a fantastic wine list! Plenty of selection by the glass, a good range at the bottom end of the price scale and a very helpful sommelier. I just have two words for you, Ice Cider. Try it.
Medlar is a solid 8/10 and somewhere that I will be returning (and recommending) time and time again. I’ve been drunk, I’ve been sober, I’ve been with friends and I’ve been for a romantic meal. The constant factor is that I always have a great time. If only they would open a sister restaurant in North London.
Black bean scallops with fennel, chilli, toasted sesame seeds & oyster beignet
Foie gras and prune terrine with smoked duck, green beans & toasted brioche
Under blade fillet with snails, salad, triple cooked chips & béarnaise
Monkfish with braised baby gem, pancetta, squash ravioli & romesco
Cheese glorious cheese
Pear financier with candied walnuts & coco nib ice-cream