Sometimes you have urges that just need to be fulfilled. For me, today, this was macaroni cheese. Not just any macaroni cheese but my favourite kind. Anna Maes Spicy Juan version.
Mr E was busy getting stressed about his hard drive and it was a bit windy outside, so I decided that rather than venturing out, I would be a good wife and give it a whirl at home.
It turned out to be rather a success. The cheesiness might not have been quite as good as the authentic version (I wasn’t exactly creative with my choice of cheese) but the bonus of making my own was that I could add a few extras and plenty of peppers on top – my favourite bit!
The Anna Maes version uses jalapeños but I went for my favourite spicy, sweet Pepadew picante peppers and sliced them up. I also added some pancetta and spring onion for good measure.
What do you reckon?
For 2 people I used:
4 spring onions
15g plain flour
250ml whole milk
150g mature cheddar
Salt & pepper
And for the toppings:
Pepadew picante peppers
Fifteen steps to mac n cheese heaven:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220°c.
2. Cook the macaroni in salted water according to the packet instructions.
3. Grate the cheddar.
4. Melt the butter.
5. Add the flour to the butter and stir for a minute.
6. Stir in the milk, adding a bit at a time to get a smooth sauce.
7. Add the cheddar and stir.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Fry the pancetta and chopped spring onion in a little butter.
10. Mix everything together in an oven proof bowl.
11. Grate parmesan on top.
12. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes until bubbling.
13. Add a smear of chipotle and a dollop of sour cream.
14. Chop loads of coriander and peppers and throw these on top.
15. Dive in.